September is National Suicide Prevention Month, an annual month-long campaign to raise awareness about suicide prevention, reduce stigma around the topic and encourage those in need to utilize available resources.
About Suicide Prevention Month
Here is the breakdown of the month and why we observe, according to National Suicide Prevention Lifeline,
“September is National Suicide Prevention Month. All month, mental health advocates, prevention organizations, survivors, allies, and community members unite to promote suicide prevention awareness. National Suicide Prevention Week is the Monday through Sunday surrounding World Suicide Prevention Day. It’s a time to share resources and stories, as well as promote suicide prevention awareness. World Suicide Prevention Day is September 10. It’s a time to remember those affected by suicide, to raise awareness, and to focus efforts on directing treatment to those who need it most.”
Get to know the issue by reviewing AFSP’s Suicide Facts & Figures: Georgia 2021.
Help Raise Awareness via Social Media
One of the easiest and most effective ways you can help prevent suicide is to promote the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. If someone you know is thinking about suicide and needs emotional support or resources, the Lifeline network is available 24/7 across the U.S.
We can all help #PreventSuicide. @800273TALK provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). suicidepreventionlifeline.org #NPM19
Important Resources to Help You Observe Suicide Prevention Month
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
Opportunities to Get Involved in the Atlanta Area
- Register for one of our free monthly virtual QPR suicide prevention trainings (September 23, October 28, November 18 or December 16). Learn more here.
- Join Amerigroup’s “Sound the Alarm: Suicide Awareness and Prevention” virtual event on September 8 from 5 – 6 pm. Learn more here.
- Stay up to date with the latest news, resources, campaigns and more by tuning in on social media: #SPM21, #NSPW, #WSPD21, #BeThe1To, #StopSuicide, #PreventSuicide