Whether you’ll be attending Georgia Teen Institute for the first time this year or you’re a seasoned returning participant, we’ve compiled a list of helpful reminders to ensure your GTI experience is the best it can be!
- Someone helpful is always in Command Central. Forget your pillow? Have a headache? Need a Band-Aid? A welcoming GTI staff member is always available to help when you need it. Command Central is located on the 1st floor of Murdy (the boys’ dorm), to the left of the elevators as soon as you enter.
- Take care of yourself. When we’re not at home, it can be easy to fall out of our self-care routines. Plan to be outside a good bit, and wear sunscreen and bug spray. Shower. Go to sleep when it’s lights out time. Perhaps most importantly, drink lots and lots of water. This helps prevent dehydration, headaches and tummy troubles! We know these tips sound boring, but feeling your best truly makes a difference in your camp experience.
- Always have your binder, name tag and mask. You’ll hear this a lot at GTI. Unless you’re sleeping or in the shower, you should have these things with you at all times. Your binder contains your schedule and all the handouts you’ll need to fully participate in Team Meetings and Family Group. Name tags help us learn each other’s names and help staff ensure everyone has made it to the session they are supposed to be in. Masks are required at all times in indoor spaces and help us to keep all of our staff and participants safe.
- Bring a positive attitude everywhere you go. Our attitudes impact how we interact with others and go a long way in ensuring we get the most out of our experiences. Participate fully and keep an open mind. You won’t regret it.
- Meet new people. You know what’s even better than coming to camp with your Youth Action Team? Leaving with new friends from all across the state of Georgia! Introduce yourself to others, make new connections and form friendships you’ll have for years to come.
- Wear comfortable shoes. This tip may seem pretty obvious, but trust us, it’s worth saying on its own. At GTI, we’re on our feet a lot. Not only are we team building and doing energizers, we also walk across campus to various sessions. Comfortable, closed-toe shoes will help you be on time to your sessions AND avoid achy feet.
- Step outside your comfort zone. Don’t be afraid to try something new or get a little silly! You won’t be alone; hundreds of your peers will be discovering their powers right alongside you!
- Remember why you’re here. You’ll be exposed to countless resources, new knowledge and opportunities to build leadership skills at GTI. Take advantage of all that the program has to offer and bring it home with you! You’ll plan an entire project with your Youth Action Team, but you can also brainstorm (as a group or individually) how you can utilize what you learn in General Sessions, Workshops and Family Group, as well! The possibilities are endless. You have the potential to make a true impact on your community with the tools you gain at GTI. We can’t wait to see what you’re able to accomplish during the upcoming school year!